APAC Mentality: The Rise of Localisation
The rise of the global nomad and the glocal brand is widely discussed, but consumers across the Asia-Pacific region are increasingly looking to domestic and regional brands for products and ideas, rather than the western multinationals so eager to capture their interest.
Below is a small sample of the insights available to Stylus members in our full APAC Mentality trend report.
Complete the form below to find out how you can access in-depth reports on the most important emerging consumer lifestyle trends.
The Hard Facts
- Domestic brands account for 75% of FMCG shopping decisions in China
- Domestic brands account for 61% of FMCG shopping decisions in Indonesia
- Domestic brands account for 57% of FMCG shopping decisions in India
- Some 24% of APAC consumers say national pride is the most important reason they buy local products
- APAC is home to 54% of the world’s social media users
- In the past year, APAC accounted for 70% of total growth in global internet users
Today, the aspirational positioning of western brands relative to Asian brands is being subsumed – in many respects. The rationale for buying western is diminishing.
- Made in Asia, for Asia, by Asia
The competitive landscape is shifting across the Asia-Pacific region, as local and regional brands gain ground against the western multinationals looking to dominate the area. APAC consumers are turning to local and domestic brands, creating an increasingly complex landscape for global competitors.
- Looking Local
Discerning APAC consumers are seeking out products and innovations that are more relevant to their fast-changing lifestyles. The domestic and regional players that tap into local tastes and preferences are set to win.
- New Frontiers
Upticks in travel between APAC nations and online shopping – led by shared social media and e-commerce platforms – are increasing exposure to brands from across the region, opening up a wealth of cross-border opportunities.
Want more insights?
Find out how you can access the full-length APAC Mentality report. Complete the form and we will be in touch shortly.
Membership enables real-time access to Stylus reports, images and analysis as they are published. It provides the latest research into conceptual and emerging trends globally and across industries, specifically with a view to understanding their impact on and application to business.
Stylus members get access to:
- 300+ cross-industry reports published annually
- Coverage of 130+ leading trade shows and key industry events
- 50 in-house analysts and industry experts, supported by 100+ contributors
- On-demand support from a dedicated client services manager
- Exclusive, members-only biannual Innovation Forums
- Monthly webinars presented by our in-house analysts
- Access to Stylus Advisory (click here to find out more)