The Purpose Collective
Driven by a desire for simplicity, focus and heightened self-awareness, a cross-generational tribe of purpose hunters are demanding a more mission-minded approach to life. We explore who they are and why they matter.
Six Key Stats
- In the UK, 20% of people suffered from anxiety or depression in 2016, up from 18% the previous year
- Anxiety disorders affect 13% of children in the US
- The longevity economy – productivity and spending by Americans aged 50 and older – contributed $7.6tn to US GDP in 2015
- One-third of UK internet users are trying to reduce time spent on devices to regain control over tech use
- In the US, 56% of consumers will stop buying from brands they think are unethical
- In China, 94% of Gen Z (aged 7 to 21) say it’s essential for brands to be sustainable and environmentally conscious
Three Key Trends
- The Age of Purpose
From digitally distracted millennials (aged 23 to 36) and active seniors (aged 72 to 89), to purpose-oriented professionals and dynamic leaders, consumers are stepping up their search for meaning and direction – whether by committing to small, frequent acts of purpose or rising to a higher mission.
- Simplifying Complexity
As anxiety levels rise and attention fragments, the purpose collective are rejecting multitasking and craving simpler solutions for better wellbeing. Standout brands are designing products that support concentration and more focused family time.
- Clearer Consciences
Consumers are increasingly making purchasing choices that align with their values. "People are more mindful of what they buy – what those things say about them and what they perceive a brand's reputation to have," says Diana Verde Nieto, founder of Positive Luxury.
Not a Stylus member?
To find out how you can access the full-length Puropose Economy report – along with 300 other cross-industry reports published throughout the year – complete the form and we will be in touch shortly.
Become a Stylus member and get access to:
- 300+ cross-industry reports published annually
- Coverage of 130+ leading trade shows and key industry events
- 50 in-house analysts and industry experts, supported by 100+ contributors
- On-demand support from a dedicated client services manager
- Exclusive, members-only biannual Innovation Forums
- Monthly webinars presented by our in-house analysts