LA Retail: Autumn Openings, 2015
From cult brand flagships and sustainable store designs, to tech-powered beauty boutiques and a sports concept honouring the industry's local greats, autumn brings an eclectic mix of retail concepts to LA. We select the highlights.
- Cult of Owens: LA-born fashion designer Rick Owens has opened a vast flagship in Hollywood, designed by Italian architect Anna Tumaini. Located in a 5,200 sq ft former factory, the interior is monochromatic, severely angular and enveloped in concrete – a homage to brutalist architecture. Features include Owens' signature seating made in his own image (referencing the work of British pop artist Allen Jones), a serene 'chill area', and a monolithic 'fog wall' that pumps out smoke at the push of a button.
- Nike Honours Local Icons: Nike has unveiled its new West Coast flagship in The Grove outdoor mall – a three-storey, 31,000 sq ft space conceived to celebrate LA athletes. Key interior features include a huge "We are LA" mural of basketball star Kobe Bryant, and a mini soccer pitch featuring a mural by LA artist Tristan Eaton in honour of US soccer stars Alex Morgan and Clint Dempsey. The store is also home to the local Nike+ running club, who meet and train in an adjacent courtyard, plus a trial dribbling area for basketball enthusiasts.
- NYX Social Beauty Flagship: LA-based beauty brand NYX Cosmetics has opened its first standalone boutique at the Westfield Santa Anita Mall. Key features include an interactive beauty bar offering a menu of pre-recorded virtual tutorials, and non-stop social media content pumped into the store via a series of digital screens.
- Sustainable Branding: Sydney-based sustainable fashion and lifestyle brand Bassike has opened its first US boutique in Venice. Designed by Australian architect Kelvin Ho, the ultra-minimal boutique features floor-to-ceiling front windows that bathe the space in natural light, and concrete floors accented by Australian hand-dyed rugs, plus white oak and marble fixtures. The rear of the store offers a leafy courtyard for relaxation, adding to the casual residential ambience.
See also Retail Domiciles for more on this homely aesthetic.
- LA-based sustainable clothing and home goods label Industry of All Nations has opened its first bricks-and-mortar store on Abbot Kinney Boulevard, Venice. The no-frills, 700 sq ft debut store features fixtures made from surplus product boxes and simple industrial shelving.
- Male Groom Boom Continues: LA-based bespoke suiting company Shayq has opened a 700 sq ft store-meets-styling studio, complete with classic barbershop, on La Brea Avenue. Discreetly luxurious, the hybrid space includes a suave lounge area featuring heavy velvet furniture, low lighting and exposed brickwork.