Luxury brands still dominate Miami's most notable openings, with the city's flourishing Design District welcoming three high-end international accessories boutiques. Elsewhere, industrial Americana provides the stylistic backdrop for several home-grown boutiques.
- Premium US, made-in-America fashion and accessories brand Felio Siby has opened its first US store in the Design District. The single-storey gallery-like space features a polished concrete floor and solid display plinths displaying bags and shoes.
The brand's website claims: "Savvy and stylish, this exclusive brand of handmade clothing is made exclusively in America." That said, I found one bag on the site made in Italy but the others were manufactured in the US. Hum.
- Harry Winston, the New York-based fine diamond jewellery specialist, has opened a two-storey boutique in the Design District. Designed to mimic an elegant private apartment, the space is decorated in neutral taupe and beige tones, and is spread across two floors divided into separate salons for fine jewellery, bridal, timepiece and fine jewellery collections. For more on the trend for store concepts that echo private homes as a method of conveying a more humanised and frequently local-centric attitude, see Retail Domiciles and Ralph Lauren's VIP Flagship.
- Also new to the Design District is luxury Swiss watchmaker Parmigiani Fleurier, which has opened a sleek, single-storey flagship – the brand's debut US location –on Northeast 39th Street which has been dubbed 'watch row'.
- Supply & Advise, located in downtown Miami, is a specialty menswear shop and barber housed in a former industrial building that offers a selection of rugged US apparel, shoes and accessories brands such as Levi's Made & Crafted, Filson and Tanner Goods. Echoing the building's heritage, the two-floor space features a materials palette of rugged woods, reclaimed furniture and exposed brickwork. See also Eco-Ethical Sustainable and Upcycled Spaces.
- San Francisco-based heritage hat brand Goorin Bros. has opened its first Miami location on Lincoln Road. The 1,000 sq ft wood and antiques-filled double-fronted store references the old-world charm of the brand's Panama hats and flat caps.
- Just Cavalli, the diffusion line of Italian luxury fashion brand Roberto Cavalli, has opened a second US flagship (the first is located in SoHo, New York) inside Miami's Aventura Mall. The spacious single-floor store features a colour palette of steely greys and polished chromes, softened by furnishings from Cavalli's own homeware line, a collection inspired by the designer's jet-setting, yacht-loving lifestyle.
For more on Miami-based retailing, see Art-Infused Miami Retail Openings, Global Local: Warby Parker and Art Basel Miami '14: Branded Spaces.