Future of the Family
The spring edition of our Innovation Forum, Modern Family – which took place in London and New York on May 9 and 12 – looked at how key technological, cultural and consumer influences are creating a new family dynamic, rich with creative and commercial opportunities.
The event drew from our latest research across retail, media and marketing, food and beverage, hospitality and product design, which forms our Modern Family Macro Trend, published this week.
Our in-house experts considered how the pressures of tightened economics, shrinking living space, pervasive technology and daily travel might impact families in the future – highlighting key products and services that will be in hot demand.
Prominent guests also shared their insights:
- Melanie Notkin, founder of Savvy Auntie, spoke about how brands can tap into the power of the Pank (Professional, Aunt No Kids) – a potential $9 billion industry.
- Lance Somerfeld of the NYC Dads Group discussed branding and advertising to 21st-century fathers. Dove Men + Care is a brand that understands "real dad" moments, said Somerfield. He noted its decision to transform brand activity at sporting events into a celebration of fatherhood as a particularly savvy move.
- Juliet Kinsman of boutique hotel booking site Mr & Mrs Smith, urged hospitality brands to "surprise and delight" the whole family. Kinsman highlighted hotel group Dorchester Collection – and its Coworth Park resort in particular – as a brand doing this well by offering mini robes, cookies and sweets.
- Tom Evans, founder of tech startup BleepBleeps, gave us an entertaining take on the future of parenting via his educational, functional and amusingly named line of products, which you can read about in The Business of Parenting.
- Fiona Bennie and Pearse McCabe of creative agency Dragon Rouge shared insights on what they believe five families might look like in 2030, highlighting mobility and sustainability as key attributes.
Modern Family will be presented as a webinar on May 29 and 30. Register for the date and time that suits you here: www.stylus.com/webinars.
For further insight, read the Modern Family Macro Trend.