Mall Retail Reloaded: Funan, Singapore
Revamped with technology and a local focus, the Funan shopping mall is enticing Singaporeans with contemporary sporting facilities, live entertainment arenas, smart robots, testing stores, craft workshops and an urban farm.
Reopened on June 28, the 12-storey Funan complex hosts co-working and living spaces on the top six floors, while leisure and shopping constitute the lower six. Each floor is dedicated to a theme – Tech, Craft, Play, Fit, Chic and Taste – to streamline the browsing experience. Recognising localism as a trend in Singapore – 72% of consumers buy premium products from local retailers – 60% of Funan’s 184 tenants are homegrown brands. We showcase the mall’s highlights.
- Serving Adventurous Spirits: A motion-detecting, LED-marked 200-metre cycling track crosses the ground floor, complemented by on-site showers and lockers. (Cycling is only allowed outside opening times.) On the same level, a 46-lane rock-climbing wall stretches upwards to the second floor, while the rooftop features a football pitch.
- Futuristic Food Scene: Local restaurant Noka harvests fresh produce from an open-to-the-public 5,000 sq ft urban farm, with robots that collect trays at the central food court.
- Craft Studios: Consumers can participate in artist-led workshops such as leather bag making at the Tree of Life’s studios – a 25m wood and steel structure which spans the basement to the fourth floor.
- Elevated Electronics: Acknowledging the appetite for personal electronics (see Strategies for Selling Tech), local retailer TK Foto has unveiled a drone-testing zone, and US gaming media brand GamePro hosts seasonal e-game tournaments in its flagship.
- Smart Services: Via a concierge app, consumers can book tickets for an on-site theatre or sign up for workshops. Integrated with Funan’s smart-parking garage, it also allows drivers to reserve parking lots in advance, find their car and pay fees. Additionally, an in-mall robot collects purchases from stores and deposits them at click-and-collect lockers in the basement.