New Google Tool Reveals Popular Pandemic Pastimes
Google has launched an interactive tool that reveals pandemic-era hobby search trends. We highlight the niche crafts, leafy pursuits and the curious happenings which saw the greatest interest increases from February 2019 to 2021, reflecting changing consumer sentiment and preoccupations from the last year.
- The Cottagecore Craft Boom: Aesthetic and lifestyle trend cottagecore has blossomed since stay-at-home restrictions began, indicating consumers’ retreat towards nostalgic and pastoral pastimes in the face of pandemic worries. Hobbies including flower pressing (+692%) and home canning (+691%) have seen monumental search growth.
- Needlework craft searches have similarly surged; patchwork ballooned by 737%, rug hooking by 578% and Amigurumi (a Japanese practice of crocheting small creatures) by 683%.
- Outdoor Pursuits Pick Up: Consumers have spent more time outdoors during the pandemic, triggering an upswell of interest in nature pursuits. Bird feeding searches have soared by 744% and nature photography by 278%.
- Dog walking has also skyrocketed, with Google searches increasing by 766% while container gardening (a garden comprised of only potted plants) enquiries rose by a significant 685%.
- Ghost Sightings Soar: The taste for spotting otherworldly happenings has seen an uptick over the past year, including 810% growth in ghost hunting searches. Sightings for UFOs have similarly spiked; according to National U.F.O Reporting Center data, uncovered by The New York Times, UFO sightings surged approximately 16% across the US.
- While having extra time on their hands during lockdown may have inspired people to look to the skies more, brands should be mindful of consumers’ need for escapist and fantastic experiences after a year of monotony.