Resort 19 Influencer Show: Prada
New York was the location for Miuccia Prada’s latest Resort show, with the buzz of the city that never sleeps mirrored in the collection’s cacophony of noisy print and jarring colour – reading like a fast-paced back catalogue of tried-and-trusted house favourites.
However, those iconic prints and signature off-key colours took on a new youthful vibe when combined with 90s minimalist silhouettes, hip-slung flares and thigh-high minis. Add in sporty zippered polo shirts, colour-blocked tees, giant trapper hats and chunky block-heeled loafers and Prada’s reach suddenly moves out of the luxury sector and into the millennial mainstream.
The mood for layering added to the youthful feel, with jazzy printed polo knits blended with ruffled tank tops and self-belted hipster minis – all worked in a discordant palette of jade, emerald, primrose, cobalt, coral, tan and camel. Lean single-breasted coats and ankle-skimming sheer skirts or slip dresses may have had a timeless appeal, but it’s the retro geo-patterned hip-hanging pants, primary bright ruffle-hemmed wrap minis and frilled colour-blocked polo shirts we’ll see on the high street any day soon.
Fabric choices had a down-to-earth appeal, too, with spongy leathers, sports jersey, granular summer tweeds and opaque sheers all offering a tangible season-neutral stamp. Shimmering metallic brocades or cloques were worked in neat-fit jacket and micro skirt or flared pant combinations.
And those thigh-high gamine miniskirts put renewed emphasis on legs, with paillette-strewn hosiery and printed tights making a statement, offset with logo-stamped loafers or zingy colour-blocked patent sandals. Watch for the influence of those chunky plastic chain necklaces and oversized trapper hats, both replacing bags as the accessories du jour this season.
NEED TO KNOW:
- Mad print and colour mixes
- Sporty tops and patterned polo-neck knits as key layering pieces
- Team with hip-slung flares or ruffled wrap miniskirts
- Ankle-skimming skirts and narrow single-breasted coats for a 90s minimalist-inspired silhouette
- Fabrics combine sports jersey with luxe silk cloques or brocades
- Simple leather commuter coats and boxy jacket shapes
- Block-heeled loafers, plastic chain necklaces and coloured hosiery
- Exaggerated trapper hats help create a new youthful silhouette