S/S 18 Influencer Show: Coach
Americana has been an underlying influence throughout the latest round of S/S 18 shows at New York Fashion Week. Coach’s creative director Stuart Vevers took the look to the max with his homage to early 80s New York City via the legendary Mudd Club and graffiti artist Keith Haring.
Add some traditional American themes like prairie patchworks, preppy collegiate looks and classic Western styling, and Vevers’ Spring/Summer collection ticked all the trend boxes likely to appeal to his young international fan base.
Tinseltown glitter hit everything from the runway itself to the covetable cowboy booties and delectable 20s-style, lace-edged slip dresses. The latter were casually layered under metallic biker jackets or appliqued shearling jackets in a vintage-inspired way.
Patchwork denims and faded prairie-girl florals kept the look grounded, alongside slouchy collegiate knits and studded suede western shackets, while sleek satin pantsuits and tuxedo-striped hipster pants upped the clubby-glam quota.
The Haring influences were seen everywhere, from artfully placed appliques and intarsias – guaranteed to become the collection’s most sought-after pieces – to iconic beaded squiggle motifs worked as patterned all-overs on sheer bias dresses.
The delicate feel of those diamante-trimmed, boudoir-esque slip dresses looked new for this label, adding to the collectable heritage feel of the collection, and compounded by Vevers’ palette of pretty pales and soft fruity pinks and reds.
Accessories ticked all the trend boxes too – from the metallic Western-style ankle boots, to the Haring-appliqued box bags and 80s-style coloured eyewear.
NEED TO KNOW:
- Prairie-style patchwork denim and faded florals contrasted with dressing-up-box, vintage-inspired slip dresses
- 80s-style shearling chubbies and metallic leather biker jackets are hero outerwear pieces
- Keith Haring logos on everything from intarsia sweaters to accessories or as beaded motifs
- Diamante and sequins, sheers and lace layered under rugged shearling and leather for a luxe play on texture
- Feminine boudoir slips contrasted with classic Western styling