Resort 2018 Influencer Show: Prada
It was techno versus the boudoir as Miuccia Prada kicked off the S/S 18 Resort season, tapping into a vintage-inspired mid-90s vibe with a collection that combined delectable femininity with slick urban sportswear.
These contradictory looks melded in perfect harmony, confirming the current mood for empowerment as ice-cream sheers and fluttering feathers sat side by side with Prada’s iconic 90s zippered black nylon, worked as off-the-shoulder blousons and sparse shift dresses.
There was more than a passing nod to vintage Helmut Lang, too, in the colour-blocked sheers that moved from business-like buttoned-up shirts to sorbet-toned mix-and-match ruffled and plissed separates.
Signature utility belts and branded rubberised patches reiterated the 90s throwback looks, while logo-heavy hosiery and Velcro-strapped footwear took the sportswear influences to the max. Elsewhere, the mood for embellishment offered a more feminine slant, with shimmering linked chainmail, glittering crystal trims and tiny pie-crust organza ruffles.
Quirky touches appeared in the form of monochrome happy-bunny prints, as playful rabbits frolicked among scrolling Art Nouveau-inspired lily motifs and urban Prada-stamped logos, all worked on the simplest of silhouettes.
Which influences will be taken from this collection? Watch for the high street picking up on those weightless sheer plisse skirts and ruffled shell tops, along with the slick nylon portrait-neck sports jackets and the Velcro-strapped sandals.
NEED TO KNOW:
- Sorbet pastel sheers – mint, rose cream, apricot and pistachio
- Dark urban nylons and luxe wools
- Simple, sheer layered separates
- Embellished pie-crust ruffles and glittering trims
- Urban sportswear silhouettes updated with off-the-shoulder looks
- Branded patches and printed logos as a key feature
- Techno detailing with zips and Velcro
- Playful prints versus graphic, colour-blocked sportswear