We use cookies to give you the best personal experience on our website. If you continue to use our site without changing your cookie settings, you agree we may place these cookies on your device. You can change your cookie settings at any time but if you do , you may lose some functionality on our website . More information can be found in our privacy policy.
Please provide more information.
Stylus no longer supports Internet Explorer 7, 8 or 9. Please upgrade to IE 11, Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Edge. This will ensure you have the best possible experience on the site.
Food, Beverage & Hospitality
Published: 15 Nov 2013

‘Water-Neutral’ Supermarket

Extra

UK supermarket giant Sainsbury’s has opened its first “water-neutral” store in Weymouth (which is completely self-sufficient for water), with a second to follow in Leicester at the end of the month. The moves form part of the company’s ongoing commitment to reducing its water usage.

The eco-friendly Weymouth branch meets 70% of water demand by harvesting rainwater (which provides much of the water for its carwash and toilet facilities) and using water-efficient initiatives such as pre-rinse spray taps and waterless urinals. The other 30% – drinking-quality water for food preparation – has been offset by sponsoring water-saving initiatives with two local schools. This equates to the store’s total water consumption, allowing it to claim its water-neutral status.

Sainsbury’s has been rolling out water-saving measures for some time. In March, the company revealed it had reduced its water usage by 50% across its estate since 2005-06. That’s a saving of almost 1bn litres a year. 

Water scarcity is becoming an increasingly crucial issue worldwide, and brands are starting to take responsibility for the part they play. For more examples of companies implementing water-saving initiatives to help redress the balance, see Hospitality Brands Tackle Water Crisis. For architectural solutions, see the concepts proposed at the Drylands Design Conference

For more in-store eco-initiatives, see Evolution of the Supermarket, published as part of our Future of Food industry trend.

RELATED REPORTS
VIEW ALL Reports
Updated
Related
© 
PANTONE®TPX
COATED
RAL
RGB
HEX
NCS