Technology Assistant Editor
Location: UK 🇬🇧
How to apply: Please submit your application with CV and either covering letter or video introducing yourself and why you are suited to the role.
Stylus is a leading consumer trends and innovation research company with offices in London, New York, Australia, Brazil and Japan. We’re seeking a Technology Assistant Editor to power Stylus’ Technology directory by translating emerging industry trends into compelling, commercially-minded content - from biohacking to blockchain, smart cities to the metaverse.
You’ll be plugged into the latest tech news, debates, patents and launches globally, and be adept at identifying overarching trends and themes to generate future-facing editorial ideas. Whether writing quick-turnaround blogs or in-depth reports, your copy will make the high-tech intelligible to a wider, cross-industry audience, and identify key learnings for businesses. You’ll also cover major tech events such as CES and Mobile World Congress, and be encouraged to add your voice to Stylus’ multimedia content, which includes the Future Thinking podcast and Three-Minute Trend videos (recent episodes: Can Tech Make You a Better Person? Are Robots the Future of Mental Healthcare?).
With Stylus subscribers including big tech and global electronics brands, this is an exciting opportunity to inform and inspire their future products or services. Can you cut through the noise to identify which new tech is genuinely innovative and beneficial to consumers? Are you able to join the dots between tech developments and their human implications – whether that’s the impact of automation on workers, tackling digital poverty, or biohacking our way to better health? If these topics ignite your interest, we’d love to hear from you.
- Pitch timely editorial ideas relevant to Stylus subscribers, and translate your research into engaging, insightful copy for various digital formats (blogs, long-form analysis, multimedia), working to weekly and monthly deadlines
- Interview industry experts and build your network of contacts
- Report on international trade shows and conferences (currently virtual-only, but travel to some events is likely to resume in 2022)
- Occasionally contribute to larger cross-industry projects and Macro Trends, collaborating with colleagues from other directories
- Build articles in our CMS (content management system) and source high-quality imagery to illustrate Stylus content
- Edit the work of junior writers or interns (when applicable), and support the Senior Editor in the day-to-day running of the team
- On occasion, present ideas to clients or at internal/external events (training can be provided
- 2+ years of professional industry experience in journalism, trend forecasting or a similar field
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- A passionate interest in digital culture and the big-picture issues facing the tech industry, with an ability to put a creative spin on these subjects and explain complicated/niche concepts plainly to a general reader
- Excellent research and communication skills – you can identify underlying themes and trends, and translate these into compelling copy (whether that’s short-form blogs or longer reports) that captures Stylus’ house style and tone of voice
- Experience in editing others’ work, or a willingness to build up this skill
- Ability to scrutinise a variety of source material (white papers, quantitative and qualitative data, consumer polls) to assess its worth
- Visual flair – you can spot what makes a good image, and gather visuals that bring our online content to life
- Working knowledge of Content Management Systems
- Awareness of current diversity and inclusivity discourse, striving to ensure your research considers different demographics and perspectives
- Highly organised and versatile – you’ll be comfortable working remotely but also enthusiastic about collaborating with colleagues, interviewing industry sources or representing Stylus at industry events (when relevant)
Stylus recognises the impact an inclusive workforce has on driving innovation. We are committed to nurturing a team that is representative of all sections of society, and for each employee to feel respected, regardless of differences in race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, protected veteran status, age and ethnic background, as well as differences in lifestyle and experience.